Maternity Mates - Make A Referral
Requesting the Maternity Mates service
Women can be referred to Maternity Mates™ at any time after the 5th month of pregnancy up until the baby is 6 to 12 weeks old. Although we can accept referrals at any time during this period, we always encourage women to be referred at the earliest opportunity, so that we can provide the maximum support and give the mum and baby the best possible start. Please click here to read more about Maternity Mates.
Please click the button below to complete the Referral Form
Boroughs covered by Maternity Mates
Maternity Mates is currently open to pregnant women living in Newham, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest.
Mothers we support
Maternity Mates is open to pregnant women living in Newham, Tower Hamlets or Waltham Forest who do not have a suitable support network or have specific needs or healthcare issues, such as:
- Single mums who do not have family or friends to offer support
- Women new to the UK without access to support from family or friends
- Women who have had a previous traumatic birth
- Women currently experiencing domestic or sexual violence
- Women with substance misuse issues
- Women affected by mental health issues
- Women with complex health needs
- Women who do not have a good command of the English language
We are flexible with the support we provide, and if the woman prefers, we can help her through one - or all - of these periods:
- Antenatal - from the 5th month of pregnancy up until birth
- Birth - including labour
- Postnatal - up to 6 weeks (in Tower Hamlets) and 12 weeks (in Newham)
Who can refer women to Maternity Mates?
We accept referrals to Maternity Mates from health professionals, such as:
- Health Visitors
- Practice Nurses
- Social Services
- Hospital Doctors/Nurses
Whilst we can accept self-referrals from the expectant mother, we will encourage her to discuss her referral first with her GP or midwife so that we can plan for continuity of care.
However, any mum can speak with our Maternity Mates staff first for an informal chat (contact details below). We will then request that she contact her midwife or GP to arrange to receive the support of Maternity Mates, as we work alongside health professionals to help the mum receive the best possible care.
Please click here for contact details for the Maternity Mates team.
Maternity Mates™ is the registered trademark of WHFS (Women's Health & Family Services)