FGM /C Resources and Links
Below is a list of links to external helplines and resources. Please note: these are not managed by WHFS (Women’s Health & Family Services).
24-Hour Helpline – free and anonymous
The NSPCC run a free 24-hour helpline for advice, support and to report FGM /C. This helpline is for both adults and children.
NSPCC FGM Helpline - 0800 028 3550
Their helpline states: All girls have the right to a life free from pain, menstrual problems and difficulties with childbirth that are caused by female genital mutilation (FGM). Female genital mutilation, female circumcision or ‘cutting’ may cause serious health and emotional consequences that last a lifetime. It’s also illegal under UK law. You can stop it. For advice, support or to report it call the free 24-hour anonymous FGM helpline.
Please click here to download the NSPCC Helpline poster.
Specialist FGM /C Clinics
Campaigning and other local organisations
Please click on the links below to open the relevant website.
- Daughters of Eve - This is a not-for-profit organisation that works to protect girls and young women who are at risk from female genital mutilation (FGM).
- FORWARD (Foundation for Women's Health, Research & Development) - A campaigning and support charity dedicated to advancing and safeguarding the sexual and reproductive health and rights of African girls and women.
- The Orchid Project - A charity advocating an end to the silence and taboo around FGM and campaigning to end the practice.
- Black Women's Health and Family Support - Based in Tower Hamlets, this charity's primary area of concern is promoting the eradication of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).
Publications and Useful links
- WHFS’s FGM /C project report ‘Hear our Voices’
- WHFS’s Short Briefing on FGM /C
- WHFS’s FGM /C Reference Library (for health professionals and researchers)